Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international affairs.
- Print, broadcast and online work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible. Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist's professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify. Student media are not eligible.
- Journalists who are 34 years old or younger as of December 31, 2013, and whose work appears in United States-controlled print, broadcast or online media may enter.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or, in the case of a series, a maximum of three related pieces; each sidebar counts as one piece.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.